Saturday, June 26, 2010

From Brown to Blue... and Life

I had been thinking that the living room was the next logical choice--if I painted it next, the majority of the common area living space would be painted, and that made me very happy! I also liked that it didn't require painting a ceiling (we're going to replace the Celatex (sp?) tiles with drywall soon-ish) and the woodwork and walls were in MUCH better shape than the dining room, which meant less killer prep time.

When Laquita came over, she agreed that the living room should be next, although she chose it because she liked the blue paint and wanted to help! Unfortunately, we had cleared out the room and taken our before pictures when we stopped to have dinner, and she received a call that her cousin had been murdered in a domestic violence murder-suicide (her cousin is also the mother of one of Babak's former students who is Laquita's age). Tragic, yes, but the sadder part is that this little girl is the third I've known in my time here to lose her mother (and in one case, sibling) to domestic violence. I hate that I now think, "oh, by the way..." because it is horrific and tragic and senseless.

With Laquita back in Shelby and my internet out, I continued our paint work. Check out the before and during pictures.... I'm almost done, so hopefully tomorrow you can see blue!

We refer to this as "Delta Brown" due to the massive number of Delta people we know with this exact color in their homes. I actually really like it, although not for my own home as it doesn't quite go with our style and stuff, and Babak absolutely dislikes it. It's really not "us" at all, so fair enough!

You can see from the far less patching how much better this room was! The only real major challenge was removing the MASSIVE blinds from the front window. A gallon or so of primer later, and it was a white out:

No comments:

Post a Comment