Monday, June 21, 2010

Paint, paint, paint!

Since everyone (literally, it seems) keeps asking me for pictures, what I'm doing, what colors we chose, and all sorts of things about the house, I decided it was time to share the blog and to put it to use by posting information about what's going on with the house.

While Babak was here, we picked out colors for almost every room in the house. After painting a room in our apartment in Cambridge school bus yellow (I swear to you, it was the EXACT color of a school bus) we decided that this time, we would buy samples of paint and put them on the wall before actually jumping in and buying enough to paint entire rooms.

That was a very, very good idea.



Our first choice for the dining room looked, strangely enough, quite school bus-like. The red we thought we'd put in the front bedroom? On paneling? It looked like a barn. And the turquoise in the bathroom was so 80s I almost had to push my ponytail to the side while painting it. A few options and random squares of color around the house later, and we successfully chose some tasteful colors to lighten and brighten up our rather darkly colored house. I thought most of the colors were great when we looked at the house, but when it came down to it, they didn't work with our colors and with our mostly dark furniture.

The first room I chose to work on after Babak left was the RED dining room. I think it was two owners ago that painted it red, and I like red, especially in dining rooms. However, to agree with one of our neighbors, it's lovely but it's very dark for that room (she was here the day it got painted red). It also was in pretty rough shape up close, with layers and layers of paint and several cracks. We do have great hardwood floors in that room, though.

To give you an idea, here are some before pictures... more on the progress later!



4 comments:

  1. It definitely needed to be lightened up! The yellow is going to look great with the white trim and dark wood furniture! Keep the posts coming! hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY for having a way to keep up with you and your crazy busy life!! Where are the garden pictures? I am so jealous you have a garden....maybe in 3 yrs I will too! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, I'll post on the garden soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed the pictures and the update. Looks like a real cute house. I look forward to watching the progress.

    ReplyDelete