Sunday, November 7, 2010

What are YOU doing?

My mother has journeyed about 12-14 hours north with my father this week to visit my aunt, uncle, and grandparents in rural Gowanda, New York. Now, my mother is a total techie-gotta-have-it kind of person. You wouldn't know it, because she doesn't go wild for everything, but she LOVES technology. She LOVES the internet. And Gowanda, NY is not one for the internet. My cousins have internet at their house in town, but my aunt and uncle are lucky just to get their cell phones to work out on their farm.

So, facing a week without internet, Mom got a Droid. Geez. That's right, not surprisingly, the woman who gave me an iPod before I ever really knew what one did has a "fancy" phone. Not shocking! But the cool thing, to be honest (and not slightly making fun) is that it creates a "hot spot" so she can get on the internet on her new laptop wherever it is. And if she can get online, she can get on gmail and on video chat.

And that is how, late on Saturday night, we ended up video chatting with my really, really old grandparents, my aunt and uncle, and my parents from rural Mississippi to even MORE rural Western New York. It was SO COOL!

Aaaaaand, when they called...

What was I doing? Re-caulking the bathtub. Because I am oh-so-cool.

Babak, naturally, was watching NCAA football. Guess my family thinks we're real exciting folks now!

1 comment:

  1. That is so awesome that you were able to "visit" with everyone too!! You're mom is a genius! And great with technology! And I remember you getting an ipod when I still had no idea what it really was too! ;-) Hope they have a safe trip!

    ReplyDelete