Tuesday, May 10, 2011

The Most Valuable Lesson

I have had a revelation. It is about what the most important thing a child will learn in school. And you may be thinking, how to read? No. Important, yes, but no. What the most important thing may be is how to count to 20. Why, you ask? Because, honey, let me tell you how many people at Walmart cannot count to 20. I mean, it's easy.... 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20. And if you can count everything in your cart and not pass 20, then you are all clear for the fast checkout. But honey, if you hit 20 and there's still half a cart? Move in, chica. And we do not know this. So the most important lesson for us all? It ends with "19, 20!"

In other news, today was the first day of state standardized testing.

Joy.

So today, the 18 little people in my homeroom and I were cooped up in the room with a stolen kindergarten assistant with 33 questions on the reading portion (thanks to the state) and perhaps too much candy (thanks to me). It wasn't fun, but it wasn't awful. I think the test was very difficult, but most of the little people disagreed. I mean, we had thoroughly covered everything on it, so they weren't caught off guard. They were definitely ready. But I felt that the test was unreasonably hard, including lots of obscure vocabulary, covering some objectives heavily and others barely at all, and even some questions with two very clear correct answers. Here's to hoping that the munchkins are correct and that they did well!

No comments:

Post a Comment