Each Tuesday, a grandmother from the community comes to read to our class. She is a member of the church next door, which is our school's "community partner" and does a few nice, little things for the kids throughout the year.
Anyways, a few of my older, and therefore larger, children don't like to sit on the carpet for the entire duration of the reading time, so they sit on stools at our guided reading/literature circle station, which is a red half-circle table. The other morning, as our reader was leaving, I noticed the boys were slow to leave the table. Slow as in like, not moving.
"Let's go guys!"
No movement.
"Gentlemen, moving please."
No movement, but: "Mrs. Most, there's a roach on the red table."
"Oh, okay, well are you going to kill it?"
"No, we've been sitting here watching it for (looks at clock) fifteen minutes."
Seriously?! SERIOUSLY?! You sat there and WATCHED A ROACH ON THE TABLE while a guest reads to you? Thank goodness by this time she'd left the room. I went back to the red table, de-flip-flopped and whacked that thing flat, and wiped it up with a Bleach wipe (we do this all the time, so I've got a method).
But wait, it got better.
Christopher lingered behind and watching the roach killing. Then he looks at me and announces... in complete seriousness...
"Mrs. Most, you just killed one of God's creatures! Roaches are God's creatures, too!"
And so they are. And so I told Christopher, "Yes, dear, they are, but God's going to have to forgive me for that one."
Classic. And on a related note, I can't believe our district is paying an exterminator because although I see the guy spray, I also kill bugs all the time. Particularly in the cafeteria. Gross.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment