Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Literate does not mean edible!

Amia is a leach. I call her that affectionately, but she endeavors to spend 99% of the time she's in my class wrapped around my waist, my arm, even my leg if we're on the carpet. She clearly has the assigned seat right next to my projector in the front of the room. It was the only way to keep her seated during lessons! She's gotten better throughout the year (and really, why so clingy? I have no clue) as we got a penguin stuffed animal "Reading Buddy" that she now clings to instead.

Anyways, Amia is far from fourth grade level when it comes to reading. She came to me not knowing all of her letters and not knowing capital letters hardly at all. Her decoding ability has dramatically improved this year, and she now regularly keeps up with and actively offers answers during Word Study, which is easily one of the most demanding segments of my class. Today, we were reviewing affixes and how they alter the meanings of words.

The homework assignment said "If literate means able to read and write, what does illiterate mean?"

Amia bursts out "It means not able to read and write!"

Good, right?

Nope! Right on for meaning, but off with her decoding, Amia adds: "I'm edible!"

Nope, sweetheart, let's not say that! The class, yes, including Amia, was ridiculously tickled when I explained that edible means something you can eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment