Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Wild Weather

Today, I left our house at my usual 6:15 am and the sun was out. By the time I pulled into school at about 7:00 am, it was pitch black outside. By about 7:15, the rain picked up and by 7:30 it was a violent downpour. We spent our first half-hour of the day "having DEAR time in the hallway" until it cleared. The power flickered, which always makes the kids scream, but otherwise it was fine.

We spent a thunderstorm-filled morning working fine, but about 10 or so minutes into lunch a tornado struck near where I live (40 or so miles south of the school) and we went back from a watch to a warning and to the hallway we went. After a bit of hollering and a slight mad dash by the last few students from the cafeteria to the adjoining hallway, we spent a while longer (45 minutes, perhaps, I'm not sure) in the hallway with all of the teachers attached to cell phones with texted updates from family around the Delta and smartphones glued to the radar. Our trusty coach also hung out on the front porch of the school to keep watch, as Clarksdale for some reason does not actually have a tornado siren!

It was a tiring, wild, but luckily not very eventful day. Driving home with high winds wasn't too much fun, but I'm just thankful of two things: we didn't get many direct hits in our region, and our region is mostly farms and fields so there's not as much to hit as in an urban area. Luckily tomorrow's forecast is all clear for a change.

No comments:

Post a Comment