Every Delta school has a field day. Most of them are called May Day Play Day, but ours happened in April this year and we usually call it just plain old Field Day.
I hate field day.
When I taught 5th grade, field day happened the day after 5th grade graduation and so my only involvement was about a half-dozen of my best kids coming to help. But now, with 4th graders and an April date, I got the full-blown impact.
Yep, still hate it.
I'm glad the kids were excited. I'm really glad it was full of athletic activities where they could run and play like kids. The games themselves were great. But they were indoors (it not only rained, it POURED), and it was LOUD. Like, LOUD. A fist-full of Tylenol wouldn't have calmed the pounding headache. And I kind of lost my voice trying to cheer for my babies over it all.
Okay, so that I like.
But then there's the snacks, so they bring money. And every time kids need money, some kids are low on funds and some kids just want more... and, today, that meant a child got caught stealing. From me. Not fun for anyone involved. And then there's the schedule, which changed today (because of the rain, not poor planning, but still) and left us with only one hour of field day and many hours of... ? who knows... and the fact that some kids had to be removed, which means their parents are usually ticked because their kid is bummed out.
Hm. No. Still don't like it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment