I just got back from taking Babak to the airport in Jackson, MS. He is now safely landed back in Baltimore! In just over 2 weeks, he will finally make the drive down here and be back for good just in time for our one year anniversary. I don't think I even need to say that I can't wait!
His visit was a whirlwind. I picked him up Friday, and then we spent most of Saturday working in the yard and getting ready for what was supposed to be a rather sizable BBQ. Teach for America had asked us to host a "welcome BBQ" for the new 2010 corps members in the area, and told us to expect 30 people in addition to our little crowd (me, Babak, our friend Marie, and three of our students). Well, I don't know if the art of communication or the art of the RSVP failed, but not a single TFA type (new corps member, local staff, etc) showed up. Our little group still had a blast, and we added a trip out to feed the ducks and turtles at the park in since it was just us. We have been munching on grilled chicken and all of the sides since then, though... ha. Oh well.
Sunday, as you know, we started ripping out walls. Monday we kept at it (more pictures to come soon) and started removing the plaster. There isn't any insulation in the outside walls or between the bedrooms, so we're going to have to remove the plaster and lathe boards so that can be remedied. We also started picking out new windows. Smashing up plaster is actually kind of fun, to be honest; it's quite rewarding to whack something concrete-like with a hammer and successfully remove it from a wall. If we had insulation or it was in any sort of decent condition, we'd have kept it, but it wasn't to be. I've got to keep working on it to get it ready for drywall to go up in a couple of weeks, which is fine--but gathering the pieces, bagging them, and getting them to the curb? That is HEAVY. It has kinda exhausted me...
Tuesday we popped up to Clarksdale to figure out all of the insurance stuff, since now that we own a home and are married we need things like life insurance, and because Babak is going on as my dependent. I find it all so confusing, but luckily for me Babak is good at that sort of thing. We stopped by my school for a bit as well and all of my colleagues that were around got to meet Babak (only a few had met him before) and he helped me work on my classroom arrangement. We pulled out two tables, but now I finally have enough desks and space for all of the kids to sit on the carpet! Thrilled. It was uber-frustrating trying to figure it out, so I swear it better work out once the kids show up and start using it, or I will be so not thrilled to try to figure another option out... Yesterday evening a group of 2010 corps members descended upon our house, as they are staying with us until their new digs--right next door to us--are up and running. They're a great group, so we're happy to have them here and as neighbors.
Well, Babak's fire pit that my parents bought for him as a birthday present (which he is ELATED about!) has arrived, so I've got to get that to the backyard. Tomorrow it's back to the teacher life... so I think I'll lay low and rest tonight!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment